It’s that time of year again! As we bid farewell to 2015 and welcome in 2016 with open arms, we’re taking a fond look back at the most popular images shared on 500px this past year.
There are only two rules:
1. The photos must have been uploaded to 500px (not necessarily taken) in 2015.
2. No photographer may appear more than once on any list, so everybody gets a chance to be featured.
What separates a great still life photograph from a snapshot of a few inanimate objects? Is it lighting? Composition? The size and quality of your camera gear? Yes, yes, and probably not. But none of those are what I would call the deciding factor.
The most important factor separating great still life photography from everything else is, simply put, a story. Does your choice of subject, composition, lighting, and every other minor tweak and consideration all come together to tell a story.
We’ll let you decide if the Top 10 Still Life Photos of 2015, our next Best of 2015 list, achieved this goal or fell short:
10. Bottle Sea by Juan de Villalba
9. Lilium Bulbiferum by EncroVision
8. Reds and Greens by Belen Argueso Castelos
7. Buch by ARTcore
6. Four Elements by Daniel Sellmann
5. Transformation for Spring by Lafugue Logos
4. Cookies and Milk by Margareth Photography
3. Air Dancers by Ashraful Arefin
2. It’s Always Coffee Time by Dina Benelko
1. Pliable by Shihya Kowatari
Like (or don’t like) what you see? Let us know in the comments! And if your favorite 500px photojournalism didn’t make this year’s Top 10, share that with us too.